So I have a lot of extra cranberries and decided to make Cranberry Apple Butter. Super easy and totally delish!!!!
- 4 BIG apples
- 1 12-ounce bag of frozen cranberries. (fresh is fine too)
- 3 sticks of cinnamon
- honey 1 tsp – (optional)
- cloves (optional)
- vanilla – 1/2 tsp (optional)
- Wash the apples well, and cut them into large chunks, discarding the core and seeds. Add to the crock pot.
- Rinse the cranberries and add them to the crock pot. Give the fruit a stir and then cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours, or turn on low and cook for several hours like I did. Give the pot a stir every once in a while to prevent sticking. If the mixture is sticking you can add a bit of water. I added about 1/2 a cup.
- I added my cinnamon and a few cloves as well and let them cook with the mixture.
- Remove cinnamon and puree.
- Puree the softened fruit in a high speed blender or food processor, working in 2 batches. (depending on the amount you put in) I only needed to do this once.
- Push the puree through a mesh strainer with the back of a large spoon, Force the puree through, you should be left with just a light layer of solids. Rinse out the strainer between batches and don’t forget to scrape the strainer bottom (where the liquid comes out.
- Rinse out the crock pot and return the strained puree to the pot. Bury a few sticks of cinnamon into the puree. Once you return it to the crock pot, I drisseled honey all over the top, about 1 tsp worth, I also added the vanilla and stirred it into the liquid. Cook on HIGH, uncovered, for another few hours, or until thick and spreadable, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
- When the fruit has thickened, spoon it into clean glass jars. Add lids and WB for 15 minutes.
I wasn’t sure how this would turn out but let me tell you…..YUMMY!!!!!!! This will be good to smear on a roll, add some turkey and dressing and there you go! Your Thanksgiving Dinner all in one!